Friday, October 2, 2020

I'm neither Gandhian nor anti - Gandhian (PART - 4)

I'm neither Gandhian nor anti - Gandhian (PART - 1)

I'm neither Gandhian nor anti - Gandhian (PART - 2)

I'm neither Gandhian nor anti - Gandhian (PART - 3)


   Nathuram Godse... Quiet well known as a murderer of Gandhiji. But why did he kill Gandhiji? What made him hate Gandhi so much? Many people answer in many ways. In my childhood days, I wasn't so thoughtful to think about this question. But when I grew up, this puzzle came into my mind. Why did Godse kill Gandhi? I heard and read one story regarding this. Let me share that story with you.

    When Gandhiji was shot by Nathuram Godse on 30 January 1948, the first big personalities who rushed the spot were Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the then prime minister of our nation, Sardar Vallabhai Patel. the then deputy prime minister of India and along with Lord Mountbatten. But suddenly from the crowd, one shouted that a Muslim shot Gandhiji. Hearing this Lord Mountbatten was surprised. and shouted no it was a Hindu who shot Gandhi. And immediately before creating any chaos and conflicts between Muslims and Hindus, Panditji quickly went on air (radio) and cleared his statement that Gandhiji was shot by a Hindu not a Muslim.

    You all know the main culprit... Nathuram Godse.  Can you believe that this was his second murder attempt on Gandhiji? When did Godse attempted first happen? And do you know that many more attempts took place to assassinate him? If you are a great hater of Gandhi replace murder with the word assassinate.

     Nathuram Godse, one of the great Gandhiji's follower. He showed his interest and gave his support and contributed to the Civil Disobedience Movement led by Gandhiji. Gandhiji has led many movements in support of RSS too. By seeing this the political activist... Nathuram Godse joined RSS. When he joined RSS in 1932, his mindset changed, and his opinion towards Gandhiji was entirely different compared to his previous view. In 1944, Godse carried a dagger with him at Panchgani near Pune. And it was Godse who tried to stab Gandhiji. But Manishankar Purohit and Bhillare Guruji seized the dagger from Godse and they ruined his attempt. What were his thoughts to kill Gandhiji?

   When interrogation and trails were conducted regarding the assassination of Gandhiji, many were arrested. One among them was Nathuram Godse, the main lead for the well-planned assassination. When interrogated he put his statements forward. But when I read them it was not to defend himself but I felt those were the facts. 

According to Godse:

  • He was not against the Gandhian teachings and non-violence but because of Gandhiji's decision many people were forced to vacate their motherland and their homes and that costed many lives and also a conflict between two religions.
  • Gandhiji told everyone to be non-violent and act peacefully. Almost everyone followed this. But he used to read the Quran in temples not Gita in a mosque because Gandhiji thought Hindus will be silent but not Muslims. Godse felt that Gandhiji was harmful to Hindus. 
  • Also, Godse stated that Gandhiji's ahimsa teachings were mostly followed by Hindus, not by Muslims. So he thought that Mohandas took this advantage and started supporting Muslim culture a lot at the cost of Hindu culture. 


    "During that time around 1945, many Indians didn't want a separate electoral for Muslims even a few Muslims supported this but then Muslim leader Jinnah wanted a separate electoral for Muslims. This was before partition when Lord Mountbatten the last Viceroy of India was smoothly handling the transfer of governance from Britishers to our Indian leaders. Lord Mountbatten too didn't want to divide them. But Muslims protested a lot with the support of Gandhi."

  • When I started to learn about Godse's vision, I was surprised that he was very practical enough and he dared to accept the truth that he murdered. He said that he had no faith in Gandhiji because Gandhiji pressurized the Indian government to transfer the money to the Pakistan government which was held due to the Kashmir war at that time. And Godse stated that our Indian government without Gandhi would be practical and be strong and courageous with the sound armory and armed forces. If not with his words, Gandhiji would have definitely supported Jinnah and might have ruined our Indian economy. 

    What do you think about Godse's vision? Is it good or bad? In this world, everyone needs peace which doesn't mean one should tolerate violence even he is doing wrong, that what our armed forces are working for. We don't indulge in any war or surgical strikes until someone disturbs our calmness. I agree we shouldn't start the war, but if it starts we shouldn't let the bad win on us.
    
    Whatever it is, if you are a Gandhi follower, then spread the peace wherever you go. If you are a Gandhi hater, then let your hatred ness go away because he is no more, and also we can't undo his acts now. But one question still unanswered in my mind is,

    "Why only Gandhi Jayanthi is a national holiday? Why do people give all the credits of our independent nation only to him? Don't you think that this is unfair?"

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Remember, I'm neither Gandhian nor anti-Gandhian ... I'm just Mouli... Mouli Bheemaneti.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Accidental Achievement

I don't remember exactly what is the first chapter which I experienced in my life. But one concept or lesson got stuck in my brain since...